The scholarship is for undergraduate study at accredited, two-year technical schools, or community colleges, trade schools, art schools and/or four-year colleges or universities worldwide.
Eligibility Requirements: Applicant must be a Wheaton North High School (Wheaton, Illinois) senior planning to enroll or expecting to enroll full-time for undergraduate study at accredited, two-year technical schools, or community colleges, trade schools, art schools and/or four-year colleges or universities worldwide. The Selection Committee will verify with Wheaton North High School that the applicant is a senior in good standing.
Award: The scholarship is for use in first year of study and is not renewable.
Amount: $ – Amount and Number of Scholarships Vary By Year
Basis of Selection: Based on the merit of the application and essay, seriousness of purpose, and depth of character. The recipient is selected by the Scholarship Committee, with input from others as designated by the Committee, who administer the Scholarship Fund. The Scholarship Committee members are members of the WNHSAA Board of Directors and are completely independent of WNHS and Community Unit School District 200.
Application Requirements: In addition to a completed application, students must submit a 1,000 word essay by the March 15 deadline. The application and essay question are available from Joshua Coan, Wheaton North High School, 701 W. Thomas St., Wheaton, IL 60187. The completed application form and essay must be submitted to Joshua Coan by the March 15, 2017 deadline.
Potential Essay Questions: (Pick one to write about): Please select one of the five topics below on which to write an essay. The essay should not exceed 1,000 words in length.
- As you reflect back on your time at Wheaton North High School, please identify one part of your life there that you would have done differently, and think about how continuing your education would allow you to make those changes.
- If you are happy with the person you are, please tell us about who you are, and how you believe continuing your education will build on and improve that person.
- If you are not happy with the person you are, please tell us about the person you would like to be and how you think continuing your education will help you become that person.
- I you think – this is crazy, I’m still a teenager and I don’t know what I’m looking for, tell us what you imagine the ideal you would be in two to four years, and how you could use continuing education to become that person.
- Write your own essay question and answer it (demonstrating why you should receive the Alumni Association scholarship).
Award Notification: Applicants are notified of the selection decision by April 15. The $1,500.00 scholarship award is made directly to the institution the student has elected to attend.
Contact: Joshua Coan
Wheaton North High School
701 W. Thomas St.
Wheaton, IL 60187